Add Recent Files configuration option?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jul 3 23:41:46 BST 2018

El dimecres, 27 de juny de 2018, a les 13:53:46 CEST, Joachim B. va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if there is any way to disable the Recent files list in
> Okular. This option does not exist in the UI, and I haven't found any
> way of doing so in the configuration file.
>
> My reasons for wanting to disable the Recent files list are two.
> 1) I expect this configuration in all software that includes a recent
> files list as a general privacy option.

I don't really see how this is a privacy concern, it's your user, if you're
worried about your privacy, don't let people access your user software/data.

> 2) It seems all the files in the list are read or checked when Okular
> starts. If there's a file in the list from my external harddrive, the
> UI will hang and become unresponsive while it spins up, which takes at
> least 10 seconds. This is very annoying, as I would expect a light
> reader to launch immediately, not wait for a drive that isn't needed to
> spin up.

That is indeed annoying, i would suggest opening a bug against kconfigwidgets
KRecentFilesAction::loadEntries suggesting to do the QFile::exists check in a
separate thread or something, feel free me to add me to that bug when you open
it.

> Even better would be to not only add configuration of recent files in
> Okular, but also change this behaviour of checking the files in the
> recent files list. But there may be reasons for this behaviour that I'm
> not aware of. If the intention is to remove files from the list that
> don't exist anymore, I think this is misguided.

You will have to discuss that with the KRecentFilesAction maintainers, it's
not something Okular can control

> Joachim B.
>
> PS.
> I have sent a very similar request to kwrite-devel, as this
> configuration is missing in KWrite as well. Kate has this as a
> configurable option.

Where is this option in Kate? i couldn't find it in a quick search