D10859: Improve layout of annotation configuraton dialogs

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Feb 26 13:52:13 UTC 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  This change seems sensible on first glance, but will it be effective? IMHO there's more to improve with the current UI than just changing the layouts of the config dialogs. For example, should there //be// global config dialogs in the first place? Instead, Right now, the only way to change the settings of the annotation tool you're currently using is very cumbersome: navigate all the way to Configure Okular - > Annotations - > some tool - > Edit. That's a real chore, and makes it much harder than it needs to be. I would advocate making these settings visible in the main UI when you start using an annotation tool. That way you can easily change the settings for the tool you're currently using without having to switch contexts or open a bunch of new windows. The UI pattern of having a tool's settings contextually visible is very common--perhaps even near-universal--for software that has configurable editing tools.

  Also, this patch results in the (perhaps inadvertent) removal of the Custom Stamp's ability to use a user-specified image for the stamp.

  I would advocate some more design work in the Phabricator tasks before we produce code, or else we're likely to do a lot of work that we re-do later.