D9857: Smooth Scrolling

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Feb 16 04:11:53 UTC 2018

ngraham requested changes to this revision.
ngraham added a comment.

  Finally got a chance to give this a whirl.

  First, let's make sure we're talking about the same thing, because scroll terminology can otherwise be a bit imprecise:

  - **Smooth scrolling:** Scrolling using the scroll wheel, arrow keys, PageUp/PageDown keys, or the spacebar will results in an animated transition effect rather than the view "jumping" to the new location
  - **Pixel scrolling:** Doing a two-finger scroll gesture on a touchpad scrolls scroll pixel-by pixel proportionally with your fingers' movement, rather than the movement being interpreted as a scroll wheel and advancing the view by a fixed or user-configurable number of lines

  Okular already does pixel scrolling, but does **not** do smooth scrolling. However, your patch also does not implement smooth scrolling; it allows the user to override the default number of "lines" per scroll wheel tick or arrow key press, and instead scroll by a user-configurable number of pixels.

  Without tweaking the "Scroll Step" parameter, scrolling using the arrow keys, scroll wheel, or touchpad becomes interminably slow. Increasing Scroll Step gradually  returns the behavior closer to the default.

  As currently implemented, I'm not sure what value this adds to the typical Okular user. I played with the new setting a bunch but all of the values felt worse than the default. Can you maybe describe your use case, and what value this brings to you?