D7949: Allow to print pdf doc directly into a QPrinter

Oliver Sander noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 24 05:30:41 UTC 2017

sander added a comment.

  > Using QPrinter may be "official Qt", but that doens't mean better.

  That depends on how you look at it.  The patch gives you fast printing without conversion to postscript.  It is completely platform-agnostic, so there is no fiddling with lpr parameters anymore, and you get printing on Windows for free.  Implementing standard scale modes that people have been asking about becomes very easy: see my follow-up patch at https://phabricator.kde.org/D7962 .

  > you and me know Arthur backend sucks, so i don't see this being of any use to the users.

  Yes, the problems with Arthur are known to me: I wouldn't say that it 'sucks' (that probably depends on the type of documents you are wont to use), but it definitely needs more work.  But improving Arthur is easy: you have seen me do it.  The alternative is to keep fighting with CUPS, which means lots of bugs that only happen in certain hardware/driver configurations, which nobody else can reproduce.  Then, lpr doesn't seem to have the level of control that stuff like https://phabricator.kde.org/D7962 requires.  Finally, how will you deal with printing on Windows?  Do you really want to insert Windows-specific printing code into okular?  Who's going to maintain that?

  That being said, I understand that you don't want to expose Arthur to end-users today.  Then please tell me (honest question!): what specific issues to you want to see fixed in Arthur to make it not suck anymore?

  > Why not simply finish the pdfprintpdf branch as i've suggested a few times already?

  Because I don't see how you can get the flexibility that the QPrinter approach gives you with the approach taken in that branch.