D7949: Allow to print pdf doc directly into a QPrinter

Oliver Sander noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 23 05:35:23 UTC 2017

sander created this revision.
sander added a reviewer: Okular.
Restricted Application added a project: Okular.

REVISION SUMMARY
  This is the 'official' Qt way of printing.  It avoids the conversion of pdf files to postscript that we do currently, and may fix a certain number of printer settings bugs.  For example, greyscale printing now works for me, which it never did before.

  There is a big caveat to this approach, however: Rendering a pdf doc into a QPrinter object only works with the poppler 'Arthur' backend. While that backend works okay on many documents, it is still lacking important features, and you may see rendering problems.  For the most part this is not a fundamental problem.  Somebody just needs to sit down and write the missing parts.

  For this reason, CUPS printing remains the default, and Qt printing is simply a new option.  Additionally, I tagged this option as 'experimental' in the GUI.

  Unlike for CUPS printing, Qt printing prints on the entire page and does not scale to the printable area yet.  This is only because it is the easiest way.  I plan to implement a few standard scaling methods in a subsequent patch, which will only be a few additional lines of code.

AFFECTED FILES
  generators/poppler/generator_pdf.cpp