D8379: PDF: Support the new poppler renderToImage with update callback

Albert Astals Cid noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Oct 31 15:52:46 UTC 2017

aacid added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D8379#160970, @rkflx wrote:

  > The latest version is much better and I could not reproduce my issues from above anymore. Still some oddities (tested using `dublin-center-street.pdf`):
  >
  > - With Fit Page, first the main view renders and after finishing the thumbnail should be the only thing left to render. However, the thumbnail takes a much longer time to show an initial frame with the CPU being busy throughout doing something else (after this, the incremental rendering seems to need about the same time as the main view). It is likely this has been there all the time and the patch just makes this phenomenon more visible, nevertheless may be a candidate for huge CPU time savings in a later patch (freeing resources for subsequent pages).

  That's probably the text page being generated (also takes a long time), don't understand the mention to Fit Page, does it only happen in that case for you?

  Again take into account the text page generation, do you have https://phabricator.kde.org/D8378? Otherwise what you think is "initial timeout" is just the text page being created.

  > - In some situations, incremental rendering happens twice in a row, i.e. the first pass is thrown away when finished and a second pass starts. (Occurs now and then, unfortunately I cannot give you instructions on how to reproduce yet. Try moving around with the scroll wheel when zoomed in.)

  We do not support canceling of rendering once rendering has started, so that is easily reproducible by zooming in/out at the right time if you are already in the tiled mode rendering. There's nothing we can really do about it other than implementing rendering cancellation in the future.

  > - Segfaults on entering Presentation mode (works fine without the patch to Okular but still with the newer Poppler).

  Fixed

  > - Extensive flickering of some screen areas (switching between white and content rapidly for several seconds) when redrawing after panning a rotated page in some cases, even a segfault occasionally.

  I've got a crash, will investigate, next time please post the backtraces of those segfaults somewhere. Otherwise i'll never know if what i fix is the same you had or not.

  > Not sure whether all of this should even be fixed in this patch, but I would appreciate a short comment from you regarding those points.
  >
  >> I don't see a need to limit it really (other than the initial 500ms barrier)
  >
  > Just to put some numbers behind this: A quick measurement with a stopwatch and an artificially slowed down CPU consistently gives me total rendering times of ~7.5s vs. ~9.0s, i.e. the patch is ~15% slower.
  >
  >> lots of pages take more than 30ms and you don't really want to see them rendering just twice
  >
  > I tried to get a feeling for the difference between updating immediately (which I presume would be more pleasant) and updating after a delay of much more than the typical 30ms human perception normally does not notice (which you claim to be preferable). However, there are so many timeouts/delays and intermediate images like the scaled up thumbnails happening, that to even compare both approaches a substantial code rework would be needed. Let's just keep it as proposed, then.

  I don't understand this sentence :(