D8385: Set the columns in "Overview" mode to match the amount of pages if document is small

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 21 12:43:02 UTC 2017

rkflx added a subscriber: aacid.
rkflx added a comment.

  > If I correctly understand you, you want the whole pages to be as small as possible, when you scale down the document and all of them could be visible in the viewport.

  That's right, e.g. in Continuous mode and fully zoomed out, you would see all pages of the document in a grid. Then you'd start to zoom in, and Okular would show one column less (but now with a lot of empty space between the thumbnails). Zooming in further, the thumbnail size increases until all empty space is filled up, when another column is removed and the thumbnail size increases even more. Eventually, only one page is shown, covering the whole viewport. However, there is still an aspect to think about some more: What column number to pick when viewing a document for the first time? I'd probably like to always start with only seeing a single column, and then Okular should remember how far I zoomed out afterwards (globally or per document, though?). Or should this be configurable?

  That said, if this is too complicated to implement for now, I would be fine with your original approach (just without the checkbox) as long as @aacid does not put in his veto. As far as I could see, while with Fit Width the zoom would be different you could still zoom out and only instead of placing the thumbnails to the right they would now be centered.