D6695: Fix text labels in sidebar occasionally rendering cut off

Dominik Haumann noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 15 21:08:34 UTC 2017

dhaumann added a comment.

  With my Kate hat on I have to add that some fonts are quite broken, i.e. it may very well be that QFontMetrics has no chance in ever always returning accurate metrics (we have to fight issues like that in katepart in quite ugly ways). That said, this patch fixes a problem now by tweaking the paddling left and right. Since this is about 10 pixels in total, I would say this workaround is better than the graphical artifacts we otherwise get.

  A proper fix in Qt (or maybe even in the font or similar) is certainly better, but unlikely to happen soon. With this in mind, the patch looks good to me.

  In any case, someone else should decide whether this solution is ok, or whether there is a better fix in a realistic timeframe.

  @rkflx What you could try is to make a small test that shows this issue. Maybe this only appears with certain fonts at certain font sizes. In case you can reproduce, you should open a Qt bug report. Maybe one already exists...