D6696: Elide cut off text in sidebar header, remove restricted max width

Henrik F. noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Aug 15 10:16:26 UTC 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  Thanks for the screenshot, now I know you are talking about the max width of the thumbnail sidebar for vertical documents. I guess you are fine with removing the min width.

  As said above, I think users are perfectly capable to decide for themselves which width they like. Indeed, the grid approach would be better, but is out of scope for this patch. We should not focus only on the thumbnails here, but also look at e.g. the TOC.

  Lastly, it is the nature of interfaces with flexible layout to not perform optimally in every situation, i.e. display resolution, aspect ratio and type of document. A static max width does not work, it should (if at all) depend on the context.

  I will now try to find other reviewers. If they find the single edge case pictured above to be more important than the general case (e.g. non-thumbnail sidebar, different document aspect ratios, users acting rationally) we could try to limit the sidebar width to half the window size.