D6696: Elide cut off text in sidebar header, remove restricted max width

Henrik F. noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 14 17:14:22 UTC 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  > stupidly unusable

  I find it really hard to translate this kind of comment into actionable feedback I can improve upon, because this neither details an actual problem, nor does it suggest an alternative size.

  Instead, let me expand on the properties of my proposed solution, so we can determine any flaws:

  For the minimum size:

  - determined by the widgets inside the sidebar container
  - large enough to still allow for usage of all functionality
  - small enough to not get in the way when space is tight
  - elision of header text if needed
  - in practice ~90px

  For the maximum size:

  - not restricted to a hardcoded size
  - nevertheless, the actual document itself is never hidden completely
  - accommodates long TOC entries, reviews and bookmarks, the user gets to choose the distribution of available space to sidebar and document for herself
  - for horizontally wide documents, e.g. construction plans, moving the dark rectangle in the thumbnail preview with the mouse to pan over the document is easier for larger widths
  - if a user does not like the thumbnail being large, she can always reduce the size of the sidebar
  - removal of restriction is precondition if we were to implement a zoomable thumbnail grid (which seems standard in other viewers)
  - today's ultrawide 21:9 displays have widths of up to 3.440 pixels, Okular's sidebar should be flexible within these bounds and not restricted to 600px
  - no reasonable argument for restricting in commit history, HIG, bugzilla and this review (besides a single "opinion")
  - users are asking for it (see bug) and may have workflows and documents we currently do not cater for
  - other free and proprietary document viewers do not restrict the maximum sidebar size either (I tested GNOME's document viewer, Adobe Reader and Foxit Reader)
  - other KDE apps are unrestricted too, e.g. Dolphin, Gwenview and KMail

  If there are any other comments regarding my patch, please share.