[Okular-devel] Building on Windows

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Wed Mar 9 16:16:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

well, I was curious what this would result in. I subscribed just now,
so breaking the threading...

Albert wrote:
> Damn, the thing is what you're saying (except the "1" bit) seems more
> of a windows thing than an okular thing.
>
> Not sure if someone here can actually help with those, i know i can't.
>
> But keep us informed of your progress :)

Sounds a bit like this won't be going anywhere, which would be sad,
considering that we're actually pretty close to a working port.

Of course it _is_ difficult the problem is specific to "that other
OS", somehow, but it's also often difficult to resolve such problems
without good knowledge of the project-specific parts. (There
are definitely more knowledgeable people on kde-windows, but it's
not like they are just sitting idle, waiting for something to do...)

Do note that it is not excessively hard to get started on building on
Windows, currently. If you don't want to build from scratch, there's
actually a relatively fresh pre-built snapshot. Doesn't take much
besides a Windows VM to get started. See
https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-windows/2016-February/009586.html

Alternatively, I guess Jonathan will be happy to test-build any patches
you sugggest.

On the specifics of this problem:
The visibility-problem is roughly that settings.cpp (kconfig-compiler
generated) has visibility for okularpart, only, but is also linked into
plugins. For that purpose, mobile/components/CMakeLists.txt adds a
custom definition to the (generated) settings.cpp. That apparently does
not work, but I have no first hand-experience with KConfig-Compiler and
visibility don't understand half of how this is supposed to work.
Probably what is needed is something similar to the platform #ifdef in
interfaces/viewerinterface.h, but I have no clue how to get that into
the generated source.

Part 3, name of the lib probably just needs some cmake setting, but
actually, ui/shell.cpp has a code-comment wrt loading the plugin that
might just point to a cleaner solution.

Regards
Thomas