[Okular-devel] Bug 321956 - Make paragraphs look nicer (indentation, alignment)

Afief Halumi afief.h at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 12:26:27 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've been reading a lot of epub files using Okular lately and this specific
bug has been extremely annoying. I tried to look at what is causing it in
the codebase and it seems that QTextDocument doesn't support the CSS
properties used by many documents.

I would like to work on fixing this issue if that's OK with you guys, but
I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start... Is the correct approach here
to add the missing properties in the Qt side of things? But then again,
books will start using more and more CSS and we will continue playing catch
up. Is the correct approach to use Qt's WebEngine facilities to render the
document? That should support most (all?) of the relevant CSS properties,
but I'm not sure if the Okular architecture supports such a change or even
if Qt WebEngine can be used in such a way.

Would be great if someone could give me a couple of pointers on how to
approach this issue. I have some basic experience with Qt, but I only used
it to create basic management GUIs and never for something as complex as
document rendering.

Thanks,
Afief Halumi