[Okular-devel] [GSoC 2015] : Implement PDF Poppler features in Okular

Sahil Sehgal sahilsehgal1995 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 05:03:58 UTC 2015

Hello,
I would like to take *"Implement PDF Poppler features in Okular"* as my
GSoC 2015 project. As mentioned on the ideas page, Poppler Qt-4 library has
some features like layer view, tagged pdf support which are still to be
included in Okular. I would like to add them in Okular.

Some of the PDF readers like Evince are using Poppler libraries for
implementing
the layer view features. I have following plans for this project.

I am going through the code of Evince and figuring out the way they have
implemented Optional Content Grouping feature. They have basically used
"PopplerLayer" class and its subclasses. The detailed implementation can be
found from
https://github.com/GNOME/evince/blob/master/backend/pdf/ev-poppler.cc
I am trying to make a clear architecture of the other classes and functions
which are shown at this page.
<http://www.sourcecodebrowser.com/evince/2.29.3/ev-document-layers_8h.html>

I have cloned the *git://anongit.kde.org/okular
<http://anongit.kde.org/okular> *and have successfully built it with all
the dependencies. I am trying to solve some of its bugs and hack its code
base.

I have worked on QT and its libraries for few months. I have a very good
command over C++ and use KDevelop and QT as IDE.

I would be extremely helpful if someone could review this and
guide be in some direction. Please tell me the things where i need to do
some more research which could help me in completing this project.

Regards,
Sahil Shgal
Second year IT UG Student,
University institute of Engineering Technology,
Panjab University, Chandigarh, India