[Okular-devel] Season of KDE -- Okular

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Dec 12 23:34:56 UTC 2015

El Wednesday 09 December 2015, a les 06:45:13, Sumit Sahrawat, Maths &
Computing, IIT va escriure:
> On 9 December 2015 at 05:27, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > Why did you choose the sidebar as a configuration UI? Wouldn't it make
> > more
> > sense expanding the existing presentation configuration dialog in the
> > settings?
>
> I chose a sidebar because it will allow real-time control. It only shows
> when the user has >1 displays, and feels really intuitive, atleast in my
> head.

But how often do you configure that to give the controls such a prominent
position in the UI?

In other words, this thing we're doing is not something other people have not
done already (I think at least libreoffice has something similar for
presentations) and as far as i know none of them present the configuration
options in such a prominent place as the sidebar.

> Suppose the main okular window is on one display, and the user wants to see
> a dashboard on the second display, and the slides on the third display.
> If we add a sidebar to the main window, which has three buttons for each
> display (slides, dashboard, nothing), we can provide a flexible and
> intuitive control mechanism.
> In addition, each fullscreen display (slideshow/dashboard) will have a
> button to switch between the two modes, and there is already a button for
> closing the widget.
>
> We also provide some of these settings through the presentation config
> dialog. What do you think should be added there?

Everything, it's not a configuration dialog otherwise ;)