[Okular-devel] Calligra-based generators for ODT/OTT and ODP/OTP, priorities?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jun 17 22:21:52 UTC 2014

El Dijous, 5 de juny de 2014, a les 10:29:17, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau va
escriure:
> Hi,

Hi

> both a head-up, but also a question:
>
> I am currently pushing another Okular generator plugin to Calligra mainline,
> for ODT/OTT (you might know that there is already one generator plugin in
> Calligra for ODP).

Cool :)

> Reason for me pushing that one is that I am not too happy with the "native"
> plugin for ODT, which these days I tend to use more often (e.g. when looking
> at ODT files directly in KDevelop, which triggers the Okular KPart, due to
> Calligra parts no longer being KPart-based).

Well, it's all QTestDocument can do :D

> My question is:
> what do you recommend to do to give the Calligra-based generator a
> preference over the Okular "ooo"?

Is it better? Last time I checked it did not have seach support.

> I guess "X-KDE-Priority" in the desktop
> files are the way to go, at least with application and KPart, or is there
> any other Okular- specific system for the okular/generator services?
> And if "X-KDE-Priority", what value would you suggest from your experience
> to not overrule e.g. editor executables (AOO/LO/Calligra), for...
> ... the Okular Application desktop file
> ... the Okular KPart desktop file
> ... the okular/generator desktop file
> ?

No clue about the application one to be honest, for the rest just 1 bigger to
whatever the "ooo" generator has.

> Currently the generators are just simple pixmap-creating ones. For the
> future I hope to do proper extended generators, also with TextPage support.
> One step after the other :)

Right, so no text search...

I wonder if you should make your calligra-odt be over our OOO one, it may be
worse in some/most of the cases, but at least you can search for text, which
is also pretty important :/

> One interesting thing with the Calligra-based generators is that due to the
> import filter system the generator support for e.g. DOC and DOCX files is
> more or less just some other desktop files. So on my system I can already
> read DOCX files with Okular :) And anyone with Calligra (okular odp
> generator) installed can also read PPT and PPTX already. Possibly needs
> some more publicity. Expect me to blog about this, once the ODT generator
> plugin RR has been merged.

Cool :)