[Okular-devel] Epub - webkit, getting text bounds

Jaydeep Solanki jaydp17 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 14:30:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Dilluns, 3 de juny de 2013, a les 01:52:04, Jaydeep Solanki va escriure:
> > Hi,
> > While working on getting text bounds work I discovered that
> > QWebFrame::hitTestContent(QPoint()) hits the outermost element, inside
> body.
> >
> > Consider the below HTML,
> >
> > <section>
> > </section>
> >
> > Now we have two QPoints;
> > QPoint pt1 => which points somewhere within p1
> > QPoint pt2 => which points somewhere within p2
> >
> > var ht1 = QWebFrame::hitTestContent(pt1);
> > var ht2 = QWebFrame::hitTestContent(pt2);
>
> Why are you using hitTestContent to get the data? Isn't there something
> better? What's your plan? call hitTestContent for all the points or?

Yes, I agree traversing the DOM is a better idea.

I googled a bit & found that we cannot get the bounding rect of text from
webkit (source<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.opendarwin.webkit.qt/1130>),
but we can get the bounding box of the HTML element. I don't get it, why it
isn't possible, because in QWebView when we select any text, it gets
highlighted, which is basically filling color in the bounding box of the
text, which indirectly means that Webview knows the bounding rects.
Do I make sense ?
Please comment on this.

& if everything fails, QFontMetrics may be of some use. We can get the font
metrics, & using it + the bounding box of the HTML element, we can predict
the bounding rects.

Cheers,
Jaydeep