[Okular-devel] Possible bug with annotations?

Fabio D'Urso fabiodurso at hotmail.it
Wed Dec 18 19:46:02 UTC 2013

On Monday, December 16, 2013 10:19:08 PM Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dilluns, 16 de desembre de 2013, a les 17:16:20, Edward Rosten va
escriure:
> > Hi All,
>
> Hi
>
> > I'm having a problem with annotations and I'm not sure if it's a bug.
> >
> > I've attached 3 files. The original is hello.pdf, a very plain PDF
> > made with PDFlatex.
> >
> > The next file hello-okular.pdf has been annotated with okular. The
> > problem with this file is that annotations don't appear in all
> > readers. They don't appear in xpdf and (worse) don't appear in the PDF
> > reader built into gmail, or the one built into Firefox. They do appear
> > in evince, okular and Acrobat Reader.
> >
> > For the final file, I loaded hello-okular.pdf into Acrobat Reader and
> > saved as hello-okular-adobereader.pdf without making any explicit
> > modifications. Now the annotations appear in all readers.
> >
> > It appears that the annotations only semi-work in other PDF readers at
> > the moment. I also have a vague memory which I can't verify that
> > okular annotations have previously been readable in xpdf (and
> > presumably the others, though I don't remember).
> >
> > Is this a bug?
>
> Looks like it to me. What could be otherwise?

Sounds like xpdf, gmail and Firefox don't know how to handle annotations
without an appearance stream (Poppler -the library we use to handle PDFs-
doesn't store the appearance stream within the PDF file, whereas Acrobat
does). Basically we're saying "you have to draw a circle annotation" but we're
not telling how (ie "draw a curve using these control points").

If they used to work, then I'm wrong and it is a bug.

According to the specs the appearance stream is optional, therefore I'm
tempted to say this is not our/Poppler's bug. OTOH, given that so many readers
show this issue, we may want to change Poppler's behavior.

There is a reason why I haven't done this yet: we would need to embed a font
in case of text notes, but I don't know enough about fonts to do that and I
guess there are also licensing issues to keep in mind.

Albert, what do you think?

Fabio

> Cheers,
>   Albert