[Okular-devel] Possible bug with annotations?

Edward Rosten edward.rosten at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 17:16:20 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with annotations and I'm not sure if it's a bug.

I've attached 3 files. The original is hello.pdf, a very plain PDF
made with PDFlatex.

The next file hello-okular.pdf has been annotated with okular. The
problem with this file is that annotations don't appear in all
readers. They don't appear in xpdf and (worse) don't appear in the PDF
reader built into gmail, or the one built into Firefox. They do appear
in evince, okular and Acrobat Reader.

For the final file, I loaded hello-okular.pdf into Acrobat Reader and
saved as hello-okular-adobereader.pdf without making any explicit
modifications. Now the annotations appear in all readers.

It appears that the annotations only semi-work in other PDF readers at
the moment. I also have a vague memory which I can't verify that
okular annotations have previously been readable in xpdf (and
presumably the others, though I don't remember).

Is this a bug?

Regards

-Ed