[Okular-devel] merging the mart/okularActive branch into master

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Sep 28 20:04:32 UTC 2012

Hi...

I would like to merge the mart/okularActive branch into okular master so that
we can more easily take advantage of improvements in the master branch as well
as make the touch based application more readily accessible to people.

right now in the branch, all the added code is in a subdirectory called
"active". this may not be optimal, as there is already a directory called
"ui", which is obviously for the desktop client. it may make sense to having
something like ui/desktop and ui/touch directories, but then there is also the
shell/ directory which contains the desktop application which uses the
contents of ui/. so i'm not sure what the most "natural" arrangement would be
in the eyes of the okular team.

the code in the active/ subdirectory produces two things:

1) a QML component for okular
2) a full touch based application in the style of Plasma Active, assuming that
the necessary dependencies are installed.

i think it may also make sense to add a switch to the top level cmake, off by
default assuming most people are still building for the desktop, which enables
the build of the application in point 2 above. i think there is value in
always building the QML component, however, as that lets applications even on
the desktop which may use QML for these purposes easily access okular for
document rendering.

i'm willing to do the work implied by the above, if you can let me know:

* if a merge into master OK to you
* the "best" directory structure in your opinion

i'm not on the okular-devel list, so please CC me in replies. thanks.

--
Aaron J. Seigo