[Okular-devel] merging the mart/okularActive branch into master

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Oct 1 20:01:26 UTC 2012

El Dilluns, 1 d'octubre de 2012, a les 13:32:36, Marco Martin va escriure:
> On Monday 01 October 2012, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > When something is merged into okular master I am taking a the
> > responsability as maintainer, and to be honest i can't even build Marco's
> > branch at the moment in my regular KDE development system, feels a bit
> > adventureus to me to commit that much.
>
> it requires a small 48k library that at the moment resides in the plasma-
> mobile repo.
> that's not optimal, but at the moment i can't think of a better place for it
> (could be own repo, but wouldn't make it any easier to build i think) with
> frameworks it will probably be all in a single plasma frameworks place.
>
> the need for this library is quite important, because removes quite a lot of
> boilerplate needed to do an app with qml only ui, that's quite too easy to
> get it wrong

Got it to run, now it complains about

file:///home/kdeunstable/instalado/share/apps/plasma/packages/org.kde.active.documentviewer/contents/ui/main.qml:22:1:
module "org.kde.plasma.extras" is not installed
     import org.kde.plasma.extras 0.1 as PlasmaExtras

Where do i get those?

> > > * if someone wants to roll a Plasma Active based product release on a
> > > schedule that conflicts with okular release schedules, that could be an
> > > issue (branches essentially fix this issue; and really, it is preferable
> > > to always take the latest stable release rather than some random
> > > snapshot even if the touch app was in a separate repo)
> > > * more code in one repository (not really sure that matters in this
> > > case,
> > > but trying to list all issues i can think of :)
> > >
> > > those are the pro's/con's as i see them. please add / subtract as you
> > > see
> > > fit and then come up with a decision as the maintainer of okular. i
> > > really don't want this to become a discussion where each side asks
> > > questions of the other with increasingly clever debate ;) i just want an
> > > answer to "what should we do with that branch".
> > >
> > > i've shared my ideas, and explained my thinking above, and simply need
> > > your decision as maintainer so i can do what ever is needed to make it
> > > happen.
> >
> > My opinion was quite clear when Marco came with the "Okular Active" code
> > back then, put it in a separate repo.
>
> there probably were a misunderstanding, i didn't have a clear idea where
> that should have gone (I still not completely do ;)
>
> > But you want an answer to end the discussion so here it comes:
> >  * When I add up the pros and cons i end up with a number that is quite
> >
> > close to zero.
> >
> >  * To me this means invoking the "the one that code is the one that
> >
> > decides" rule.
> >
> >   - Marco says he doesn't have a strong opinion on this.
>
> a topic i have a strong one however, is the effort not being isolated, what
> i would really want is this app to be well integrated in the okulat
> community, if it has something done in a wrong way technically, it should
> be fixed, but i would like to end up with something that's widely accepted
> by the okular community.
>
> not disliked for some technical reason (that can be fixed;) nor ignored as
> "not my problem"
>
> the latter is perfectly legitimate (not feeling the need for it) if that's
> the case there should be a more indepth explanation from my part why i
> think it's very important (at least the qml components, since they would be
> the public api in which any qml ui would use okular), but then yeah, we can
> move it elsewhere ;)
>
> >   - You are the other one that has done coding on the active branch and
> >   you
> >
> > want it merged in master
> >
> > So so let's see the patch in reviewboard to merge this into master and
> > discuss over hard facts :-)
>
> here ;)
> https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/106666/

Did some comments in there, let's continue in the review request.