[Okular-devel] GSoC 2012 Ideas page: time to add those ideas!

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 12:07:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Teo Mrnjavac <teo at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This is a friendly reminder that the GSoC mentoring organization
> application period closes in a week. I see that many of you have added
> lots of interesting ideas but there are still empty spots in that wiki
> page so I'm confident that we can do even better!
>
> If any of you still have ideas for this year's GSoC please add them to
> the wiki page [1] as soon as possible and before March 9.
>
> [1] http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2012/Ideas
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Teo

won't be able to mentor any gsoc projects but I have some ideas (that
may or may not be any good) if someone else wants to mentor them:

1. Embedded PDF annotation support.  poppler now supports embedded
annotations, so providing support for this in okular (alongside okular
annotations) would be very helpful for interoperability.  It could be
in the form of a generic annotation writer class, with backends that
support annotation writing having their own implementation hooking
into this class.

2. Seamlessly transfer current document to plasma active.  You should
just be able to click a button and have the file, your current
location and view, bookmarks, annotations, etc transfer from your
computer to your active device, or back.  You should be able to stop
reading on your computer and pick it up on your active device exactly
where you left off.

3. Page transition effects during normal viewing.  Especially for
plasma active, having smooth page transition effects would make the
experience more smooth and book-like.  For example an effect that
looks like a sheet of paper turning.  Pretty much every ebook reader I
have seen on android has this sort of effect, often tied to the touch
screen so the shape of the turning page depends in a realistic way on
where you grab it.

-Todd