[Okular-devel] Regarding okular generators

Jaydeep Solanki jaydp17 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 20:00:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El Diumenge, 30 de desembre de 2012, a les 00:30:41, Jaydeep Solanki va
> escriure:
> > I'm aware about Textpage algorithms that regardless of the generator,
> makes
> > text selection work properly in column layout.
> > I'm not asking it for okular, I'm asking for personal use, as I was
> trying
> > out Poppler, I made a small app that currently can open pdf files, while
> > was working on the text selection in column layout, I thought that if all
> > the libs generate text in the correct order then there is no need for
> > coding the algorithm to arrange text. In future I'm planning to add
> support
> > for other formats, so I need to know if the algorithm is needed.
>
> The thing is, why write the column sorting algorithm in each and every of
> the
> libraries if you can have it just in one place?

yes you are absolutely correct, but I was thinking to omit the algorithm
completely. Because if all the libs generate text in proper order then that
can be used for helping the selection, instead of an algorithm.
I have found that OCRopus is used in Okular, I didn't confirm, but found it
somewhere written on internet. (correct me if I'm wrong).
OCRopus uses image processing which uses a large amount of computation
resources.
So the core reason to omit the algorithm is to save large computation.