[Okular-devel] Re: page navigation issues in Facing Pages view mode

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 01:31:39 CEST 2011

A Tuesday, July 05, 2011, NJuk Njuk va escriure:
> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Christopher Reichert
> <creichert07 at gmail.com

> > what

> > > As said at the moment we do not let you change the behaviour of
> >
> > PageUp/Down
> >
> > > keys to another keys.
> > >
> > > We can discuss if we should tie them to the NextPage/PrevPage actions.
> > > I really do not have an opinion on that, so i would welcome people
> > > reading this list voicing their opinions.
> >
> > Doesn't "Forward in Document" and "Back in Document" have this
> > behavior in facing pages mode?? I configured mine toshortcuts and it
> > works perfectly for me ( same behavior as Page up and Page Down, as
> > well as up and down arrows).
> >
> > IMHO, we should not remap NextPage and PrevPage to have the ability to
> > move the viewport up and down to the next set of pages. This action
> > would do just as bad of a job at describing what is actually
> > happening. Forward in Document/Back in Document is much better at
> > explaining this behavior.
> >
> > -Christopher
>
> i didn't notice these shortcuts, so i played around with them just now.
>
> to me they seem to move forward / backward in some page view stack.  i was
> testing this on a document that's been up in a window for over a week and,
> as a result, am not sure what pages i had recently viewed, so the behavior
> seemed odd...  for example, successive BackInDocument calls just displayed
> the following pages in order: 10 + 11, 12 + 13, 10 + 11, 8 + 9, and 6 +7.
>
> it did move both pages in the view simultaneously, but the order is not
> what i was expecting.
>
> it appears there may be some pushback on having the behavior of NextPage /
> PreviousPage move the view in Facing Pages mode, but i'm curious why?
>
> (1) what are the use cases for someone wanting to move a single page but
> not both pages in the view?  i personally can't think of one, so maybe i
> am missing something...perhaps, accessibility?

Did not think of it, but yes :D We have a "read current page" functionality so
if we skip pages (since basically we'd be going 1, 3, 5, 7) there would be no
easy way to get to page 2 so it can be read, otoh i'm not sure if okular
itself is accessible enough for that feature to be reachable for people that
need it :/

Albert