[Okular-devel] Re: Readable file test changes

David Palacio dpalacio at orbitalibre.org
Wed Apr 27 01:00:36 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:38:34PM +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Tuesday, April 26, 2011, David Palacio va escriure:
> > On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 05:59:34PM +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > Hmmm, what is the plan for your generator, will it "open" all the
> > > directories? even if there are no images? or if there are images but
> > > some other files? Or only if the images have a given pattern? Also do
> > > you plan to submit your generator for inclusion into okular?
> >
> > The plan is a comicbook reader. Comicbooks may come compressed, in zip
> > or rar archives, pdf documents, or in directories.
> > The generator opens the images in given directory, one page per image.
> > If there are no images, the directory is not an appropiate "document".
> > Other files are unimportant.
> >
> > The generator is currently written in Ruby. If it interests you, I can
> > translate it to C++.
>
> We already have a comicbook reader, any reason you are not improving that one?
You are right. At the time I made it, I thought  that a separate
generator would would fit better "do one thing well" and not increase
complexity of Okular's generator. And I supposed (my bad) that it would not
be of Okular's interest.

Since the current generator already handles two different container
formats (zip and rar). A third one makes no big difference.

So, let's improve the current generator. My plan is:
1. Add the this feature to Techbase's Feature Plan for 4.7
2. Submit a patch for review on reviewboard.k.o or okular-devel mail
   list.
3. Commit before 4.7 hard freeze
4. Bug fixing and maintainment.

I also want to propose to switch from using the rar "rar" or "unrar"
programs to use 7zip (or add support for it). This would add support for
another popular archive container, 7z.

David