[Okular-devel] Searching for special characters and highlighting a single column on double column page

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 01:23:06 CEST 2010

A Dimarts, 13 de juliol de 2010, Shawn Young va escriure:
> Thanks Albert,
>
> > > 1.  I often use okular to read technical papers that have multiple
>
> special
>
> > > characters in them, sometimes I want to do a search using these
>
> characters.
>
> > > I have not yet been able to discover any way to do this, is it
> > > possible,
>
> if
>
> > > so how?
> >
> > Type the special character in the search field? Does it work if you do
> > the same in Acroread?
>
> I don't have the capability to enter a special character directly into the
> search window.  I have tried typing "omega" for instance when I wanted to
> search for the lowercase letter omega and I've tried using LaTeX notation
> \omega.  Neither works.  I tried the same in acrobat at your suggestion and
> was not able to get it to locate either.  Is there some sort of code that
> okular recognizes that will allow me to search for special characters?

What about typing a real omega?

Here you have one so you can copy it Ω

kcharselect can be of help if you don't know how to type weird symbols with
your keyboard

> > > 2.  I also use the highlight features a great deal.  The papers that I
>
> read
>
> > > are double columned.  When I do a search Okular seems to understand the
> > > double columned nature of the papers as it will first move through the
>
> left
>
> > > column and then the right column.  However, I have not bee able to
>
> discover
>
> > > any way to get it to recognize the double columned nature of the paper
>
> when
>
> > > I do highlighting.  If I try to highlight multiple lines in one column
>
> it
>
> > > also highlights the same lines on the second column as if they were one
> > > line.  Is there something I need to do to get the highlighting to work
>
> only
>
> > > on a single column or is this functionality not yet available?
> >
> > The functionality is not there yet, it will need someone to help
>
> implementing
>
> > it and sincerely have no idea how difficult it will be to do it.
>
> OK, I only wish I had the skill to offer to help.  The way I deal with it
> now is to highlight each line separately.  The biggest problem there is
> that I must go back and reselect the yellow highlighter every line.  Is
> there a way to tell okular to stay in highlighter mode until told other
> wise?  That would simplify things, or if that isn't available yet, is
> there a keyboard shortcut allowing me to reselect the highlight function
> without needing to move the mouse back and forth across the page?

Nope, that's not possible either, this is something we alaways wanted to do,
for example, double clicking on the icon to select and keep the tool selected
after use, but never got into it.

Sorry i'm not helping much.

Albert