[Okular-devel] Okular - Speak text functionality for blind people

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jul 5 16:09:16 CEST 2010

A Dilluns, 5 de juliol de 2010, Max Nicosia va escriure:
> Hello there,

Hi

> I am a Comp Sci student from the University of St Andrews, helping out (at
> DTU Denmark) with a project to make computers more accessible to blind
> people.
>
> The main interest at the moment is to get blind people to use PDF's easily
> and effectively (under Linux), so I have been asked to contact the
> development groups of the main Linux pdf readers and see if they are
> working towards implementing such functionality and offer collaboration,
> or maybe even start on my own.
>
> At these stage I haven't looked the the implementation of Okular yet, but
> Okular's speak function is very close to what would be necessary for a
> blind person to read pdfs.
>
> Could you please let me know if someone is already working towards this so
> I don't duplicate work?

Well, we have the Speak feature that reads a document, not sure if that is
what you want or not. In case it isn't, as far as i know noone is working on
adding extra features to our speak functionality so we would be very
interested in getting your work in Okular.

Albert