[Okular-devel] Feature Request - check box to place odd pages on left or right in dual view

Aiden Deem aidendeem at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 04:10:20 CET 2010

To the Okular developers,

I would like to request a new feature that I believe is essential.
In dual mode, there should be a toolbar option to select whether odd
pages appear on the left with even pages on the right, or vice versa.

I often have to view tables that span two opposing pages. Dual view is
obviously designed for such a need. However, if pages 1 and 2 appear
together in dual view, but it is intended for pages 2 and 3 to appear
together, I cannot view the table as opposing pages.

The default algorithm in Okular is to place together in dual view the
very 1st page on the left of the second page. Evince, on the other hand,
places the very first place alone on the right. Evince's default makes
sense if the pdf pages match exactly with the pages of a published book.
However, often pdfs are created by merging 2 or more documents. For
example, annual reports of companies often come attached with a single
page cover letter, which disturbes the matching of pages in dual view.
There is no single algorithm that could know whether a cover page is
attached or not. Lucky for me, I can choose to use either evince or
Okular depending on whether I want odd pages on the left (as in Okular),
or on the right (as in evince).

In summary, It would be nice to see a check box placed on the view
toolbar to quickly choose whether odd pages appear on the left, or else
on the right, in dual view.

I am a relatively new user to Okular, previously I used evince.

Regards,

Aiden