[Okular-devel] Okular auto center papers, any way to prevent this?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Nov 27 18:54:59 CET 2009

A Diumenge, 22 de novembre de 2009, Jochen Trumpf va escriure:
> Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > DVI file does not store horizontal information about source anchors.
> >
> > > There was a brief email exchange with Pino regarding this a long time
> > > ago, but I don't think it has been changed (read: I couldn't be
> > > bothered to produce a patch and nobody else could either).
> > >
> > > http://www.mail-archive.com/okular-devel@kde.org/msg01470.html
> >
> > Some changes have been made on the code that recognize the nearest
> > source anchor:
> > http://websvn.kde.org/?view=revision&revision=943099
>
> Ah, I see. That would explain why okular jumps to the correct line and
>  centres the page horizontally when moving to a source reference (line 383
>  in core/area.cpp).
>
> So, the real question becomes the following:
>
> If the user requests to jump to a different location in the document but
>  there is insufficient information to determine the horizontal or vertical
>  position exactly because
> a) the user just says "go to page x" but the zoom level is such that the
>  page won't be displayed fully, or
> b) the user says "go to this object in the document" but the document
> descriptor does not contain a horizontal or vertical position,
> what should be the default behaviour?
>
> In case a), okular currently jumps to vertical top, horizontal centre of
>  the new page. Acroread for comparison jumps to vertical top, horizontal
>  logical left (= left or right, depending on RTL status).
>
> In case b), at least for source references, okular currently jumps to the
> given horizontal or vertical position and centres the page in any direction
> where information is not available.
>
> Is this the best behavior? Mark seems to say no. I don't really have a
> preference, but could see the merits of a switch that lets a user say "keep
>  my current horizontal or vertical viewport when jumping with insufficient
>  information". It would need to be said in a much more user friendly way,
>  of course.

I don't really care, actually i don't use that feature at all, but i'd like
some consensus and rational explanation of why it should be changed before
changing anything and it seems we don't have that consesus at all.

On top of that Mark unsubscribed from the mailing list so it seems he doesn't
care much either.

Albert