[Okular-devel] Wishlist: Ideas for Okular development - by a wannabe developer

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Jul 8 12:37:24 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 20:12:56 Navneet Sankara wrote:
> Thanks Brad.
> I have entered them as Bugs 199401, 199403 and 199405. Hope that helps!
It does.

> I'd also like to reiterate what I said at the end of my last mail.
>
> > I am an undergrad EE student with some programming experience, but no
> > software development (nothing >1500 lines of code!). I would be
> > interested in joining the development team to help with these aspects, if
> > possible. Is there a large barrier to entry, in terms of size of code or
> > lack of experience?
>
> Where should I begin?
I think it would be easier for Pino to answer this, however he is probably not
getting a lot of good network / mail access (due to GCDS being on). I did
notice some feedback on your bug reports though.

The okular code is really quite easy to get into, although it is fairly large.
It is probably worth reviewing the API documentation - start with the links at
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdegraphics-apidocs/okular/html/index.html

Probably the best place to start is with a small bug fix - there are probably
several things that annoy you (and are small enough to get started on). You
just give it a go, ask questions on email or on IRC (#okular), and enjoy the
results.

Good luck.

Brad