[Okular-devel] Okular binaries for Win/Mac

Stian Rødven Eide stian at fsfeurope.org
Mon Apr 27 13:31:14 CEST 2009

Dear Okular developers,

We have been amazed by the success of our pdfreaders.org campaign, and the
amount of feedback has been really great. One very common objection though, is
the difficulty of installing certain programs, the most obvious being Okular
on Windows and MacOS.

To make it easier for people to choose the best (as in easiest) reader for
their operating system, we will shortly introduce a recommendation system with
automatic OS detection. However, with Sumatra being criticised for it's non-
optimal font rendering, and Skim to be removed from the list due to its
dependency on proprietary rendering libraries, we are really at a loss with
regards to which readers to recommend for the two non-free operating systems.
Seeing that Okular is the One True Free Cross-Platform PDF Reader, we were
wondering whether it would be possible to provide Okular-only binaries for
Win/Mac that we could link to. It would not only make our lives a whole lot
easier, but also lead hordes of new users to your amazing piece of software.
Is this a feasible task?

all the best,
/Stian
--