[Okular-devel] Threaded Generators API

Tobias Koenig tokoe at kde.org
Tue Jan 23 15:21:13 CET 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 11:26:47PM +0100, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 22 Gener 2007 09:59, Tobias Koenig va escriure:
Hi Albert,

> > What do you think about it?
>
> I'm not sure i understand what you want to do.
>
> Would the current pdf generator be a single threaded or a multi threaded one?
A multithreaded generator, since it can render the pages in a non-gui
thread.

> Does the multithread mean that it can run more than one thread at once, that
> is, one thread for generating a pixmap and at the same time a thread for
> getting text of a page?
Well, we could allow to run multiple PixmapGenerationThreads at the same
time, however I'd like to reduce it to one, as it is done in the TIFF
generator atm to reduce problems with 3rd-party libraries which are not
really thread-safe.

But it should be possible to run a PixmapGenerationThread and
TextPageGenerationThread at the same time.

> Besides that all things that help making generators simpler is wellcome from
> my side :-)
Ok. I talked to Pino at IRC and we came up with a nice solution IMHO,
I'll give it a try during the next days.

Ciao,
Tobias
--
Separate politics from religion and economy!
The Council of the European Union is an undemocratic and illegal institution!