[Okular-devel] XPS progress

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Thu Feb 22 21:27:41 CET 2007

Alle 08:05, martedì 20 febbraio 2007, Brad Hards ha scritto:
> Thanks to some fantastic work by Jiri, okular now has useable XPS support.

Thanks to you both guys for the great work! :-)

> Threaded generations - (not sure what this is, probably not)

This is the possibility to generate the image/pixmap of a page in an
asynchronous way (like the PDF backend).

> Text extraction - I think so, not sure how this differs from Text export

Text extraction is the process of getting the information about the text of
the page: the main "feature" of the text extraction is the possibility to
extract the information about the precise placing of the characters of every
page, and thus to build a TextPage with them.

> Paper size - not sure what this is

It's the possibility to change the size of the media used. It's like you can
do with PS documents with e.g. gv.

> Text exporting - Not sure, not sure how this differs from Text extraction

This is separate from the text extraction, as this represent the possibility
to get the text of the pages of the document in a whole, with no information
about the character placing.

> Configuration page - don't think so (not sure what this is)

The backend can provide a page with own settings, to be shown in Settings ->
Configure Backends

> Changes in the gui - don't think so (not sure what this is)

Not really working - with this a backend could add menu items and buttons in
the gui using XMLGUI.

> Printer setup page - don't think so (not sure what this is)

Never seen custom pages in the Advanced section of the KDE print dialog? ;-)

> XPS still certainly has some problems (we aren't getting the right font
> sometimes, aren't doing glyph lookups, aren't handling resource lookups,
> and there some missing image/rendering support), and those problems cause
> some files to not render as anything useful. However it is working well
> enough to be used for some files.

Cool - I updated the formats page on the website.

Keep it up with the good work!

--
Pino Toscano