A guest

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at trolltech.com
Sun Jul 20 20:02:43 CEST 2003

On Sunday 20 July 2003 06:42, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
[snip]

> such an opportunity to learn about GNOME can be had in many places. it is,
> IMHO, not necessary to take time, precious as it is. from a KDE conference
> to discuss something so completely off-topic.

I explicitely asked Havoc to not only talk about FreeDesktop and D-BUS, but
also to give a talk on Gnome. In my opinion this is appropriate for a KDE
conference for at least three reasons:

 - they invited both Coolo and me to GUADEC and asked us to talk about KDE.
 - I was surprised how little Gnome developer knew of KDE, and how little many
   KDE developers seem to know about Gnome.
 - understanding the other party is an important precondition for cooperation.

Personally I prefer being updated in a 45 minutes presentation by Havoc
Pennington than to spend hours reading mailinglists and/or code and
documentation. I am really looking forward to hear one of their brightest
guys talking about their architecture and why and where exactly they believe
they are technically in the lead.

Try to see it this way: If those 45 minutes inspire us to become even better,
they are very well invested.

Matthias