invitations and perception

Harri Porten porten at trolltech.com
Tue Apr 29 16:52:39 CEST 2003

> I was just talking to Ralf on IRC.  It seems that there's some confusion
> as to who will actually be allowed to attend the meeting.
>
> By way of posting something on the dot, I think most readers interpreted
> it as an open invitation:

Better than a "closed invitation" which wouldn't make sense :)

> My impression and it seems Ralf's too is that only "non-contributors
> only from very interested parties paying for participation IIRC"
> (quote of Ralf on IRC) will be invited.

Observing the effect on people joining a KDE meeting (or tradeshow booth)
for the first time I would like to stress the importance of letting as
many "fresh" people come as the infrastructure allows. The motivation
boost has always been great and lead to a strong attachment due to the
"I'm now part of KDE" feeling. I think that's important to counter any
aging and isolation effects.

> In the end I don't really care, but it might be a good idea that if
> there is a conflict between the perception and reality that this is
> cleared up publically.

Agreed.

Harri.