[Nepomuk] Nepomuk and lyrics stuff

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Wed Mar 20 15:52:11 UTC 2013

On Среда 20 марта 2013 16:06:39 Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> Extracted from ontology documentation:
>
> Plain-text representation of the content of a InformationElement with all
> markup removed. The main purpose of this property is full-text indexing and
> search. Its exact content is considered application-specific. The user can
> make no assumptions about what is and what is not contained within.
> *Applications
> should use more specific properties wherever possible*.

*wherever possible*. The rationale for not adding a specific property like
nmm:lyrics was that such a property might be underspecified and effectively
useless. Also, this would mean lots of content types would get their own
"nicely named plain-text version of the data without any strict serialization
requirements" properties without any useful result either.

To put "The user can make no assumptions about what is and what is not
contained within" into musical context: typical data ripped off a lyrics site
might contain lyrics only, or lyrics prepended with band, title or who knows
what else, format can be quite "flexible" too, even worse if you use several
lyrics sources.

So, the user who knows what nmm:MusicPiece is, also knows that you can get a
somewhat useful, but not machine-readable text dump in nie:plainTextContent
which is likely to also contain lyrics, and that's exactly what you get from a
typical lyrics site.

Properly implemented lyrics needs a rather clean feed and who knows maybe it
shouldn't even be implemented as a single text property. Maybe a subtitle-like
approach "time-stamped text" is a better idea?

Or, maybe I missed some important development and there's a very good
authoritative lyrics DB with a predictable format and we should get started on
defining nmm:lyrics? I don't monitor this actively...