[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Service2

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sun Mar 10 18:08:03 UTC 2013

Hey Simeon

I've been meaning to implement a Nepomuk::Service2 class which would serve
as an upgrade from the normal Service class. Given the problems we were
having with properly shutting down the storage service, I decided to
implement it. It's currently in the feature/service2 branch in nepomuk-core.

The main difference is that now each service installs its own process,
instead of installing a library which is then loaded by the
nepomukservicestub. This results in somewhat lighter processes, and it
makes debugging a lot easier as we will no longer get reports that say
"nepomukservicestub" is acting up.

Additionally, it simplifies the entire parent child relationship for each
service. Now each service is the top most parent QObject, and it is deleted
after the QApplication::exec finishes. No more wacky static variables.

Problems -
1. I've kinda broken the /servicecontrol name and description functions.
Implementing this would require parsing the desktop files, which I still
haven't done.
2. The nepomukservicestub used to catch interrupts and exit gracefully -
This isn't the case any more. I'm not sure why.

Do you think you could have a look at the code when you get some time?
Please :)

I was also thinking of renaming the nepomukserver to nepomuk_control, since
it isn't really a server, but I'm afraid that might clash with the
nepomukcontroller.

--
Vishesh Handa