[Nepomuk] Nepomuk still crashing constantly

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 23:05:02 UTC 2013

Whether its virtuoso-t or storage thats the problem I don't know, neither
generates a apport report. Normally the only way to know its happening is
because searching stops working - "The Nepomuk semantic search service is
unavailable".

If I examine the .xsession-error log I see dozens of reports of virtuoso-t
crashing. If I reboot I can usually get a usable search back but it doesn't
last long and returns incomplete results anyway.

This is getting really frustrating, I spend a *lot* of time trying to test
this and get almost no feedback for Vishesh, it all appears to be a complete
waste of time.

How many years has it been and searching is still a bug ridden unusable mess?
how many people think they have the indexing is working when its just silently
crashing in the background? it makes kontact look really bad. Even if indexing
started working perfectly tomorrow it would be a long time before people
trusted it.

I've spent the whole weekend upgrading my system to kubuntu 13.10 to get the
KDE 4.11 beta, then building nepomuk/akonadi from master, then erasing the
nepomuk db so it can reindex from scratch, which takes over 24 hours. I could
have spent that time reading a book, playing with the dogs and doing paying
work.

--
Lindsay