[Nepomuk] Nepomuk-WebMiner integration into nepomuk-core fileindxer

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Jan 8 17:21:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Jörg Ehrichs <Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de> wrote:

> 2013/1/8 Vishesh Handa <me at vhanda.in>:
> > Hey Jörg
> >
> > Sorry about the delay.
>
> No problem :)
>

> > Would it really be that much effort to copy the indexing queue in the
> > webminer service? Additionally the fileindexer could even emit signals
> when
> > its queue finishes one file so you can pick it up. If required.
>
> Not really to much effort. I just like to avoid copying stuff around.
> But I fully understand all the issues against the nepomuk-core
> inclusion.
> How about I stay with the Nepomuk2::Service part (I use at the moment)
> but instead of the ResourceWatcher I stick with the kext:indexingLevel
> solution
> that the file indexer uses.
>
> So the service runs with a copy of the eventmonitor for proper
> suspend/resume on idle/diskspace/battery (and Network) limitations
> and checks for the next 10 resources with mimeytpe pdf/video/audio
> that have kext:indexingLevel == 2.
> After the webminer was executed, no matter if successful or not the
> resources gets kext:indexingLevel 3.
>
> Does this sound like a better solution?

That sounds perfect.

> >> The current indexing can than be controlled via the overall indexing
> >> status and shown in the nepomuk-controller that sits in the
> >> systemtray.
> >

> > It would complicate the code, but we could make it control multiple
> sources
> > - file indexer + webminer. Actually, I think that is a good idea
> specially
> > cause it should also be controlling the akonadi indexing.
>
> I believe the controller needs to be changed anyway (no matter what
> solution I would select, the way it is now it doesn't show much
> information in the one string)
> First it might be nice if the suspend/resume button throws a signal
> via dbus (in case it doesn't do this already).
> Adding proper output to show is a nice task for later

I agree.

.

> > I'm hesitant of moving the webminer into nepomuk-core cause of the
> following
> > reasons -
> > [...]
> >
> > * Splitting of the webminer - I like the code being in one place. You'd
> have
> > to split the miner into the ui parts / core parts.
> >
> > Overall, these reasons aren't that serious, but I still feel quite
> uneasy.
> > That's the main reason why I took so much time to reply. Maybe someone
> else
> > could tell their opinion?
>
> I'm fine with your reasons, especially as I don't like to split
> core/ui parts here.
> Annoying enough that it took me a while to find where the nepomuk kcm
> was hidden.
>
> All I need is a "proper" way to integrate the service into the system
> properly.
> I don't like opening the webminer ui every time I have a new file,
> when the same thing can be done automatically.
>
> So if the service way mentioned above together with a copied part of
> the indexingqueue and the kext:indexinglevel is
> a good solution i'll implement this and we can move the complete
> webminer repo (after polishing) somewhere into SC
> wherever it might fit.

Great. Let me know if I can help :)

One thing that I have found works is putting up small tasks ( or junior
jobs ) for the simple stuff. Lots of people seems to be interested in
contributing to Nepomuk these day :D

> >> The biggest problem might be the generation of the SimpleResource
> >> classes, which takes a very long time currently. Hopefully this can be
> >> fixed too, as this problem should be solved by any program that will
> >> use them in the future anyway.
> >

> > I don't think everyone will agree with me, but I think the code should be
> > pre-generated and saved. The main reason for this is that we have had
> > problems when SDO has been changed in a way that the nepomuk-rcgen
> produces
> > different code. This happened when we had set the max cardinality of a
> lot
> > of properties. It resulted in the method signature changing. Eg -
> > setFullNames( QList<> .. ) to setFullName( QString ). We eventually had
> > patch up rcgen to generate both the functions.
> >
> > Also, since we do not guarantee that the generated files will maintain
> > source compatibility, it seems better if one could just re-generate them
> > before each release, and fix the problems as they arise.
> >

> Well we had the discussion in a lengthy way in kde review.
> All in all it would be nice to generate the files on the fly, but
> packagers really hate it.
>
> I hope we can add the generated files back into the repo later.

I really don't understand why they hate it. Both ways it is getting
compiled.

--
Vishesh Handa