[Nepomuk] Review Request 109078: Add a base class for the file watcher back-ends

Simeon Bird bladud at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:05:58 UTC 2013

On 22 February 2013 13:54, Gabriel Poesia <gabriel.poesia at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, not even a directory open. If I open the directory using
> Dolphin, I get a file open event in the directory and all its files. But
> nothing happens if I move a file :P
>
> Yes, filtering on even type works. And listening only to CLOSE_WRITE
> events filtered a large portion of the non-interesting accesses I was
> getting here. I hadn't tried that before. But the "directed mode" seems to
> not work at all. If I try to watch only a single directory, no matter if I
> list it, touch it, delete it or create a file in it, nothing happens. Maybe
> I'm just misusing it, but it should be so simple...

Alas. Error on step 0...

> KDirNotify is the dbus notification api which we care about.
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Since fanotify requires root access, it really doesn't seem like a
>>> viable option.
>>>
>>> How about we just stick with just inotify or inotify + kdirwatch? I know
>>> a stray move might remove stuff, but it does have significant advantages as
>>> well.
>>>

> Wait, KDirWatch or KDirNotify? hehe

I had actually misread you the first time...kDirNotify makes a lot more
sense :)
It seems like it would be fine anywhere where someone isn't going to fire
up a terminal.
A shame about fanotify though. Alas.

Would anyone object if someone (I can do it if you like) re-opened the
thread from a while ago where Martin Steigerwald emailed the kernel people,
in the hope of improving inotify? I know its a long shot, but what have we
to lose?

Thanks
Simeon