[Nepomuk] Nepomuk 4.11 Roadmap

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 21 09:21:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

2013/2/20 Heiko Tietze:
> Am 20.02.2013 02:32:35, schrieb Àlex Fiestas:
>
>> So summing it up: I would suggest not to implement the idea of
>> a timeline, but I see potential for improving the sidebar(s).
> Well, the timeline does not have to be within the sidebar, imho there are
> two
> things to do:
>
> 1-Better sidebar (places view)
> 2-Better way of using the timeline (and hopefully not wasting space in the
> sidebar)
>
> Howerver how we do this, is up to the experts :p
>

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to jump in here. As you can see in my email address I'm one of
> Bjoern's colleagues who is interested in this problem and recommended to
> care about.
> Vishesh's idea to collect and summarize proposals for sidebar functions is a
> good starting point. But we should compare your goals with users'
> requirements to a) keep the UI plain and easy and b) put all functions in
> that are neccessary. Therefore the question we should ask first is for what
> purpose the sidebar is used at all and which problem does the timeline (or
> improved recents) solve. Let me brainstorm some thoughts: Do KDE users make
> use of Dolphin? Do they use the sidebar? Which setup do they chose? How many
> know what happens with "recents"? etc. We could ask the community those
> questions if you think it's worth to go in detail. Otherwise we could
> analyze existing sources as well. Do you have a list of feature requests by
> users? Or is there any kind of usability related complain list?
> Probably we need to discuss task and time schedule as well.

thanks for your message!

Concerning how people use the panels and what they expect from them, I
must admit that my knowledge is rather limited. I use the Places Panel
to quickly jump to some of the locations that I use most frequently,
and I assume that this is the case for many other users as well.

We do have a list of feature requests. For the Places Panel, it is here:

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=527426&bug_severity=wishlist&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=CONFIRMED&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=panels%3A%20places&product=dolphin

But there might be some more requests that are not assigned to the
right component. For example, I think I remember reading the wish to
provide a tree-like group structure in the "Places" more than once.

Best regards,
Frank