[Nepomuk] [RFC] Nepomuk Resource naming convention

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Wed Feb 13 12:34:12 UTC 2013

Hey everyone

As you know nepomuk follows the following naming scheme - nepomuk:/TYPE/UUID

- TYPE is either 'res' or 'ctx'.
- UUID is a 36 characters long generated via QUuid

The UUID is supposed to be unique across one machine. It isn't meant to be
globally unique. However, we cannot be positively sure that the uuid
generated will be unique. So, we query nepomuk to make sure no other
resource with the same uuid exists. This query is expensive!

It consumes about 10-13% of the execution time for certain tests
(DataManagementModelBenchmarks::storeResources_email). I would like to move
to a much simpler naming scheme - nepomuk:/TYPE/number. The number will be
an increasing integer which will start from 0.

This way, we will not need to rely on uuid generation and won't have to
query the database during each creation.

Comments?

--
Vishesh Handa