[Nepomuk] Idea for GSOC, seeking some input

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Apr 11 17:20:40 UTC 2013

Hi Matthew,

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 08:47:34 Matthew McKeen wrote:
> I've written parsers both as part of CS classes and in previous jobs, so I
> don't think this is outside my alley.  I will go ahead and get Nepomuk
> built and patch one of the bugs to prove my worth.
> I have done some work on KDE in the past so that shouldn't be too hard at
> all.
> I can provide code samples also if you would like that.  They might not be
> in C++ though, since I tend to write parsers in functional languages for
> class, but the ideas are the same.  As for C++, I have lots of code in C
> and C++, but the best examples are probably from some of my operating
> systems code.

The best examples are upstream contributions to Free software projects. That
proves that you can code, work in a team, work towards usable results, and
maintain code. It's not just "I can write code and have done that a lot" that
matters.

What the community thinks can best be judged by a useful, well-structured
proposal that shows that you understand the problem, are capable of creating a
solution or an improvement in collaboration with others, and are willing to
maintain that solution after the summer of code project ends. It's also a
great help to judge a SoC proposal if the student has already contributed to
KDE and the subproject in question, you say you've done so -- great. Put it
into your proposal along with a good plan. If you're quick, you might get
feedback and improve your proposal once or twice before they're judged.

To be honest, "I can do this and that, or something else if you want to to" is
likely not good enough to get a project for SoC accepted. There are many hard-
working students who do better than that.

sebas