[Nepomuk] [RFC] New File Indexer

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Tue Sep 11 15:09:05 UTC 2012

Hi Vishesh,

Am Montag, 10. September 2012 schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> I would like to move these indexers into nepomuk-core, and create light
> wrappers to handle whatever file types are missing. Just to be clear, I
> am not proposing a fancy plugin based architecture like Strigi. We
> would just be detecting the mimetype using KMimeType. It would then
> call the appropriate indexing class (if one exists) which would
> populate the SimpleResourceGraph or it would just add the appropriate
> rdf types.

What does that mean for the handling of crashes during the indexing
process?

As far as I understand currently nepomuk starts separate indexing
processes to isolate crashes in strigi indexers.

Will that be carried over?

Will the change make it easier to give exact feedback to the user that an
indexer crashed on a file and what file exactly it is? Or to add on top of
this even make it possible for some guided bug reporting - considering the
file is not too private to share (parts of) it?

If this change helps robustness of the indexing process I am all for it…

(My oppinion as a non-developer…)

So or so: Many thanks for your continued work on Nepomuk!

Ciao,