[Nepomuk] Dolphin and NepomukCore

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 15 14:08:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Peter Penz <peter.penz19 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vishesh and Frank,
>
> just a few short thoughts from my side, as I wrote KFileMetaDataWidget. I
> was never really happy with the implementation of KFileMetaDataWidget, as
> it needs to deal with getting meta-data by 2 different approaches (Nepomuk,
> Strigi) and 3 possible settings-configurations:
> 1. Nepomuk off + indexing off
> 2. Nepomuk on + indexing off
> 3. Nepomuk on + indexing on
>
> (there is also an option 4 with Nepomuk disabled on compiletime, but in
> this case KFileMetaDataWidget does not show any content)
>
> There would be a lot of room to improve the existing code even with the
> need to support all configurations, but personally I'd prefer another
> approach: I did not have a look at the new Nepomuk2-API, but if I remember
> correctly I heard there should be an asynchronous API for getting metadata?
>
> If this is the case and if there is a someone brave who suggests to reduce
> the 3 options above to only 2:
> 1. Nepomuk on + indexing off
> 2. Nepomuk on + indexing on
> *)

I would like to do that. It would make the code a lot simpler. But then I
don't want to be on the receiving side of all the hate. I get enough of
that already.

Maybe we could have a runtime check to see if Nepomuk is running and
accordingly use the new widget / KFileMetadataWidget?

> ... then I'd suggest to:
> - Mark KFileMetaDataWidget from kdelibs as deprecated
> - Create a new version of KFileMetaDataWidget in Nepomuk only using the
> new Nepomuk2 API (no usage of Strigi anymore).
> - Within Nepomuk create a fallback for getting the metadata in case if
> indexing is disabled. As the Nepomuk-API for getting the metadata is
> asynchronous this also could be done in a custom process like done in the
> fileindexer. If in the future some replacement for Strigi might be used in
> Nepomuk, then this would not affect any applications anymore, but only
> Nepomuk itself.

The future is here :D. We won't be depending on Strigi for 4.10.

> My impression during the last years was that most users that disabled
> Nepomuk did it because of the indexing-service. Of course turning on
> Nepomuk without indexing still has some impact on memory, but currently
> working on a slow notebook with enabled Nepomuk + disabled indexing I could
> not face any performance drawback. Still of course removing that option
> will most probably result in controversial discussions, but personally I'd
> prefer that a decision would be done for the "traditional desktop" like
> e.g. in Plasma Active instead of hiding ourselves behind options ;-)
>
> Some random thoughts about what should also be checked when writing an
> improved version of KFileMetaDataWidget:
>
> - Currently metadata-labels like "width:", "height:"... are translated
> "manually" within KFileMetaDataWidget. This was a hack to provide users
> with translated labels... It would be great if Nepomuk would provide an API
> to get a translated string of a property.

Right. This is something really important, cause I'm not sure if any of the
ontologies actually get translated.

> - KFileMetaData also provides a way to manipulate metadata (e.g. the
> rating, comments and tags). But this is currently somehow hardcoded in the
> KFileMetaDataWidget. Probably in the longterm Nepomuk could provide a
> factory-method to get a kind of "manipulation widget" for a metadata.

+1 Exactly what I had in mind.

> I won't have much time for more detailed discussions about this topic, but
> in case if you have a question related to KFileMetaDataWidget please feel
> free to contact me.

I mainly just wanted to run it by you. You did design most of the
KFileMetadataWidget stuff. I wouldn't want to go around deprecating stuff
without consulting the author.

--
Vishesh Handa