[Nepomuk] Review Request: Create a taskbar notification window when we run out of inotify watches

Simeon Bird bladud at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:05:41 UTC 2012

> I'm 'root' of the linux (Debian) machines in my LAN and I do and am comfortable
> with administrative tasks. But I have no clue about 'inotify watch limit' and
> where to set it and if I have to raise them, by how much.
> I'm pretty sure I can find the answer(s) by googling them, but you can (and
> should?) make it easier to change it.
> I'm also not sure if just doubling the limit is the right way either.
>
> I'm no usability expert, but the following seems right to me:
> In the folder selection screen, where you set the folders to be indexed, there's
> an immediate calculation of the needed inotify watches. Then that value is
> compared to the current limit and and if the limit is too low an edit box to
> shown to change that value is presented, posibly with an apply-button with a key
> on it, like on System Settings -> Login screen (so using PolKit).
>
> In other words: make/show the direct correlation between the (number of)
> selected folders and the inotify limit, but only when it's relevant.
> Also, instead of just notifying the user of "your inotify limit is too low" or
> "you have too many folders to index" give a direct link to a place to change
> those values/settings.

Trouble is, this calculation is non-trivial; the limit is for all
watches for this user, not all watches for nepomuk. We could easily
run out just because some other piece of software is using lots of
watches. I know of no way to get the kernel to tell you how many
watches you have in use at the moment either.

Also, I was lying before, there is no correlation between number of
folders indexed and watches needed. We need a watch on *every*
*single* directory that is indexed or that might contain
metadata.Which we interpret at the moment as "every non-hidden
directory in $HOME". This is a pain.

Simeon