[Nepomuk] Dolphin and NepomukCore

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Oct 11 10:05:57 UTC 2012

Hey everyone

Dolphin is one of the last major applications that still needs to be ported
to Nepomuk2. I would appreciate it if someone migrated the code. Porting is
quite simple and there is a mini guide on the techbase [1]

The problematic part is that of the KFileMetadataWidget. It currently
resides in kdelibs/kio, and uses Nepomuk1. We cannot port it to Nepomuk2
cause of a cyclic dependency (nepomukcore depends on kdelibs, and with the
port kdelibs will depend on nepomukcore).

One idea that we had was to write a new version of the KFileMetadata
widget, which would reside in the nepomuk-widgets repository. This new
version could hopefully move away from simple (Label: Value) pairs and
maybe try to show the data in a more visual manner. We do have certain
feeders which push photos for various resources such as albums, artists,
and tvshows.

Another reason why we should move away from the KFileMetadataWidget is
because it loads the file metadata in another process. This was done
because the widget also works without Nepomuk and relies on strigi which is
known to crash a lot.

By using a separate process, one doesn't use the internal cache, and has to
query the database.

Any opinions?

Also, I would like some help with the building of this widget. I'm not a
particularly great designer.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/Nepomuk2Port

--
Vishesh Handa