[Nepomuk] User limit reached. Please raise the inotify user watch limit

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 8 16:28:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de>wrote:

> > > Thanks. Thats nice to read.
> > >
> > > I will just be setting this to 200000 for now and see how that goes.
> > >
> > > I hope that at some time a better kernel notification mechanism
> > > becomes available. I wonder whether kernel developers are aware of
> > > the issues desktop file indexing has with the current mechanisms. I
> > > can file some detailed bug report or enhancement request with
> > > kernel.org and try to get in touch with some kernel developers about
> > > it, if that would be of help.
> >
> > I have tried mailing the relevant kernel developer (Eric Paris) a
> > number of times, and I still haven't even gotten a reply. If you could
> > get in touch with some of the kernel developers, that would be
> > amazing!
>
> Okay.
>
> What would be your requirements?
>
> I consider the following to be important:
>
> 1) Recursive notifications. I.e. one watch for /home/vishesh can notify
> about everything what happens in sub directories of that directory.

Yup.

> 2) Reliable notification of file renames. Where is inotify lacking here?
> AFAIR one gets a deletion and a creation notification which are difficult
> link to one another unless watching the directories it happens in?

inotify provides proper a file move notification. But it requires us to
watch both the source and the destination directory. This means we have to
create watches for every single directory, cause the user could move a file
anywhere.

For more information -

1. http://vhanda.in/blog/2012/08/nepomuk-without-files/
2. http://martinsandsmark.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/kfilemon/