[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Adrian Schröter adrian at suse.de
Mon Oct 8 15:25:49 UTC 2012

Am Montag, 8. Oktober 2012, 20:12:07 schrieb Vishesh Handa:
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Aleix Pol wrote:
> >
> > In any case, I'm unsure that KDE can shine without ffmpeg.
> >>
> >> Aleix
> >>

> > I am sure that ffmpeg is providing some core functionality here. But, a
> > distribution like Slackware does not ship a system "ffmpeg" package. This
> > is done for various reasons, an important reason being that it will make it
> > near impossible to upgrade the system ffmpeg package. It is extremely easy
> > to break packages by upgrading a shared ffmpeg library they are depending
> > on. For that reason alone, we prefer to ship applications with an embedded
> > statically compiled copy of ffmpeg when they need it.
> >
> > Having hard requirements on ffmpeg for your nepomuk indexer would not be
> > appreciated by us. Making ffmpeg an optional dependency would be better
> > (but will cripple the indexer seriously). I think the best solution would
> > be to allow for an optional static binding of ffmpeg libraries.
> >

> That is the current scenario. All indexing plugin (including ffmpeg) are
> optional during compile time.
>
> The only question is - Should the code be present in nepomuk-core or a new
> repository.

I can only support the Fedora people here. When you add ffmpeg to any KDE core
tar balls it means we will not able to ship original KDE tar balls anymore.

Also we need to reject very often uploads from users who just uploaded KDE tar balls
to our build service instance. And that with an argument that the tar ball is not
okay legalwise from us.

I think this may also harm the reputation of the KDE project as an free project.

Better implement this as an additional plugin via an extra tar ball which we can
just leave out. No one stops you to place this extra tar ball on ftp.kde.org together
with the rest of the KDE release.

--
Adrian Schroeter
SUSE Linux Products GmbH