[Nepomuk] Nepomuk - Moving away from Strigi

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Oct 8 13:51:32 UTC 2012

Hey everyone

For 4.10, Nepomuk will no longer depend on Strigi for file indexing. We
have written our own file indexer which are based on popular libraries such
as taglib, exiv, ffmpeg, etc. This allows us to better control the indexing
process. If you would like to know more reasons as to why the change was
done, please read [1].

I will be merging this new file indexing code into master by the end of the
week.

@ Packagers:

I talked with Will Stephenson (OpenSuse) a couple of weeks back, and he
informed me that it might be problematic for distributions to ship
nepomuk-core if it depends on ffmpeg, taglib, and other packages which are
slightly controversial. Is this going to be a problem? He suggested that
the file indexing plugins be present in a separate repository. It doesn't
affect us much, so I would like to know your opinion? Do you want it to be
in a separate repo?

[1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/nepomuk/2012-September/003167.html

--
Vishesh Handa