[Nepomuk] User limit reached. Please raise the inotify user watch limit

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Oct 7 08:52:34 UTC 2012

Am Samstag, 6. Oktober 2012 schrieben Sie:

> On 6 October 2012 13:29, Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I read
> >
> > Nepomuk not indexing a large home
> > Author:Alvaro Soliverez (Hei_Ku)
> >
> > http://soliverez.com.ar/home/2012/10/nepomuk-not-indexing-a-large-hom
> > e/
> >

> > I wonder what is the official recommendation on
> > fs.inotify.max_user_watches limit?
> >
> > I think it needs at least as much as count of directories in my home.
> > Is that true?
> >
> > That is:
> >
> > martin at merkaba:~> find -type d | wc -l
> > 35292
> >
> > So a limit of about 100000 should be more than enough? System is a
> > ThinkPad T520 with Intel Sandybridge i5 and 8 GiB of RAM. So I hope
> > it would cope with that.
>
> Hi,
>
> If you apply the patch in https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/106748/
> (motivated by that same post), and rebuild nepomuk-core,
> you should get a notification window if you run of inotify watches. So
> then you'll know
> for sure if the limit is high enough.
>
> Hope that's helpful,

Thanks. Thats nice to read.

I will just be setting this to 200000 for now and see how that goes.

I hope that at some time a better kernel notification mechanism becomes
available. I wonder whether kernel developers are aware of the issues
desktop file indexing has with the current mechanisms. I can file some
detailed bug report or enhancement request with kernel.org and try to get
in touch with some kernel developers about it, if that would be of help.

Thanks,